Friday, March 16, 2018

Will You Follow Jesus on the Water?

“And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” and they cried out in fear.  But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.”

   And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”” Matthew 14:25-31

 There is a lot to see in this well-known miracle in Matthew. But I can’t remember the last time, if ever, I have stopped to think about the fact that Peter did, indeed, walk on water. It’s as if my mind just jump right over it without much thought. I always seemed to focus on other aspects of the story, not that Peter successfully walked on the water, at least for a little while.

I don’t know how long Peter was on the water before fear of the storm took over, but it clearly says that he got out of the boat, and walked on the water. Let that sink in for a moment. When was the last time you or I walked on water? When was the last time we believed Jesus could even do such a miracle through us? I don’t know about you, but for me, I can’t think of a time. Oh, I know Jesus works through me, and there are times I have been totally awestruck, but a miracle of this magnitude?

Peter didn’t hesitate in asking if he could join Jesus on the water. Jesus willing called Peter out of the boat. This means that Peter could have walked all the way to Jesus without sinking. He could have joined Jesus in the miracle. But Peter began to doubt, he began to look around at the circumstances and his faith wavered. His fear became bigger than his faith.

As I thought of this miracle of Jesus once again I realized how much I want to be like Peter. I want to be bold enough to ask Jesus to join Him in a miracle. I want my faith to be strong enough that I do not fear all the ‘what ifs’ of this world and the doubts whispered by the enemy. In the next storm of life I want to be brave enough to step out of the boat and walk with Jesus in whatever miracle He calls me to.

Here is what I keep thinking about, If Jesus calls us out of our comfort zone, out on the water, to be apart of His plans, what will we do? What is our response? Do we stay in the boat? Do we allow the storm and fears to overcome us? Or do we go to Jesus and join Him? Do we walk on the water?

 I want to go where ever Jesus goes and do whatever He calls me to do. I want to rise above my fears, surrender all and follow Jesus through the storm. Too often, I see the storm, I hear the doubts and lies of my enemy and I begin to sink. But, Peter walked on the water as long as his focus was on Jesus. You and I can do the same!

Oh Father, I believe that I can walk above whatever storm you have called me out on, help my unbelief! Increase my faith, help me to be brave and to surrender all that hinders me in following you out onto the water. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment