Monday, January 4, 2021

Defeating Crankiness and Filling Your Life with Joy

Throughout my lifetime, I have reacted to criticism and disagreement in a cranky and negative way. It has become apparent to me that I tend to not look at constructive feedback as a gift that will help me be better at serving others. Instead, I get irritated and hurt, which is a sign that I bear pride in me. As we launch the New Year, our Heavenly Father is emphasizing to me that I need to defeat my crankiness, respond gratefully to otherswho offer me their insights, and live the rest of my life without pridefulness in my heart.

 

So often during our lifetime, I do believe that our Heavenly Father motivates people to share with us the feedback that He wants us to receive. Being receptive to considering the guidance that we are offered can be a pathway to the transformation of our sinful hearts and the effectiveness of our service to others. Like all of the other verses in the Bible, Psalm 131: 1 – 3 offers me an insightful message from our Heavenly Father, which tells me that a trust in God is the basis for our contentment in life. 

 

Psalm 131:1-3

My heart is not proud, O Lord, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forevermore. 

 

Note who stills and quiets our soul. It is our responsibility. I have found that I successfully accomplish that task when I invite the Holy Spirit to govern my heart and my desires. After I pray, I tell myself to have no more anxiety in my heart, as it is a barrier between me and others on this planet and our Heavenly Father. I also remember the insights offered in Proverbs 15:1 that tell me when I am gracious others will be kind to me, and, if I am not, I will make them angry. 

Proverbs 15:1

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

 

I know that I need to trust in my Heavenly Father and be content in the life that He has given me. I believe that Proverbs 29:23 confirms that my crankiness is born from my pridefulness and that my humility will bring me honor. 

 

Proverbs 29:23

A man’s pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor.

 

Proverbs 29:22 confirms that having anger in our heart is a prelude to sinful responses. 

 

Proverbs 29:22

An angry man stirs up dissention, and a hot-tempered one commits many sins.

 

Reading Colossians 3:5-10, I find my New Year Resolution. 

 

Colossians 3:5-10

Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. 

 

In this lifetime, I am now putting on a new self and match my conduct with my faith in Jesus Christ. Since I am a Christian, I should act like I am. No more crankiness in my lifetime, as I want my love and respect for others to draw them to our Heavenly Father, who I love and in whom I trust and have faith.When I respond lovingly and respectfully, others will tend to be receptive when I testify about my faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. 

 

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for reminding me that my crankiness in this lifetime is emblematic of the pridefulness of my heart. When I behave in a loving and respectful way, others will be receptive to listening to my testimony of my faith in our Lord Jesus Christ and will be grateful to have me in their life. The alteration of my behavior is advanced by following my responsibility of leaning on the continuing work of the Holy Spirit in my life. I pray to you to help me behave respectfully when I receive constructive feedback from others by filling me with your Holy Spirit always. Amen! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment