Sunday, March 25, 2018

The Power of God's Presence


“Just as I was with Moses, so will I be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you” (Josh. 1:5). This reassuring promise was spoken by the LORD to Joshua, after the death of Moses, as he was ready to embark on his greatest challenge ever. He was about to lead the nation of Israel across the Jordan River to conquer the long-awaited Promised Land that God was giving as their inheritance. This would be a daunting task as many of these Canaanite nations were mightier in strength, greater in number, were secured within fortified cities and often held a military advantage in resources and weaponry (Deut. 20:1). But God encourages and exhorts Joshua once again: “Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go” (Josh. 1:9).

Why, of all the truths to emphasize, was the promise of God’s abiding presence the primary truth the LORD used to reassure Joshua? And why is the presence of God Almighty the recurring promise He holds out to embolden and equip all those He has called into His service? There is power in His presence! Moses himself would not dare go forward in leading the Israelites in the wilderness when God threatened to remove His presence because of the nation’s rebellion. The pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night was a constant reassuring reminder that the God who performed miraculous signs and wonders to free them from slavery in Egypt was the same powerful God whose presence was with them day and night. Moses’ desperate appeal to the Lord was, “If your presence does not go with us, do not send us from here” (Ex. 33:1-16).

Isn’t God’s presence the key? Doesn’t that make all the difference between experiencing fear, despair, and anxiety or experiencing His peace and rest? Isn’t “God with us” the truth we need to remember and cling to, especially in times of trouble and difficulty? What a powerful promise to hold on to, that the Creator of the Universe, who spoke the world into being and rules sovereignly over kingdoms wants us to know, to believe, to remember that He is right here beside us, with us, IN us! And knowing this, really believing this, makes all the difference in how I respond to my life circumstances.

All throughout Scripture, the LORD continually reminds us, reminds me, that He is with me. He knows how prone I am to forget…how prone I am to think I’m on my own…that it’s up to ME to figure things out. He knows this only leads to stress, turmoil and a sense of defeat on my part. When I forget His presence, I forfeit the peace that comes from all that His presence affords. I am told in Isaiah, “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” (41:10). Look at all that comes with the promise of my God’s presence! It banishes my fear and despair and promises His divine strengthening, help, and protection! All that and more are all part of the package when God is with me!
A great example of this can be seen in Acts 16:19-25, as Paul and Silas demonstrated a peace that passes understanding in the midst of great trial and affliction (Phil. 4:6-8). Although they had just been beaten, were thrown into prison, had their feet fastened in the stocks and were placed under guard by a Philippian jailer, they were joyful “praying and singing hymns to God (Acts 16:24-25)! What?? This is not the kind of response one would expect after what they just endured. How was this possible? How would I have responded?

The apostle knew that the Lord was with him. He knew he wasn’t alone there in the prison cell. In Philippians 4:4-5 Paul is able to exhort others who suffer, “Rejoice in the Lord always, again I will say, Rejoice. The Lord is at hand.” Paul knew Christ was present in their suffering and trial. This wasn’t just some abstract theological truth for Paul. He believed and relied on the presence of God right there in that dungeon and this truth made all the difference to Paul and his co-worker. The presence of God was real, it was precious to him, and it was enough. The apostle valued Christ’s presence more than he valued life itself … “For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Phil. 1:21)!  God’s presence was a win-win for Paul. Either way, he knew that God’s presence was sure and could not be taken away from him no matter what happened. His trust and activity of prayerful dependence on God resulted in peace. What difference would it make in my life if I embraced this same attitude? How differently would I respond if I truly lived out Christ’s presence with me in the midst of whatever trial I’m experiencing right now?

Life here on planet earth is not easy. We all live in a world where Christ guaranteed there WILL be struggles, pressures, trials of many kinds (Jn. 16:33). Some believers struggle with heartbreaking relational issues, marital tensions, betrayal and deep hurts among family or friends. Some wrestle with financial trials that never seem to end, job loss, continuous breakdowns and unexpected repairs. Others deal with unexpected health diagnosis, chronic conditions, and challenging limitations, not to mention an uncertain future. The list of painful life circumstances and trials is endless in our sin-corrupted world. It is not a matter of “if” but “when” and for “how long” we each will be affected by difficulties.

Yet, with every one of these situations comes the sure promise of God’s divine presence and all that comes with this package… His love, grace, strength, protection, and provision. Most of all, Himself! Cling to His presence. Meditate on Who it is that promises to be “near to the brokenhearted” and to “never leave us nor forsake us” (Ps. 34:18, Heb.13:5). If He is with me, nothing else ought to matter. Allow the power of that reality to invade your soul and impact how you respond to difficulties and struggles and experience the peace that passes understanding as you trust in His presence. Remember, you are never alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment