Thursday, March 2, 2017

Perfectionism Vs. Excellence



As a young mom, I remember being exasperated by the Prov 31 woman.  She is described as the ideal portrait of Biblical womanhood, and the “personification of wisdom” (even though I bet she was always exhausted).  She was a gal who seemed to have it all together.  She has always intrigued me, and I must confess, I’ve probably resented her once or twice.  I’ve wondered what her name was, or if she was cranky before her morning coffee.  I’ve wondered if she ever bounced her checkbook, or hid candy bars in her closet, so her kids couldn’t find them.  Here’s what I really want to know, how is it that she had time to sew garments, when I struggle to find the time to floss?  Secretly, I’m not sure we could have been friends.  But, as the years of passed, I have grown to understand her a lot more, and why God shared this passage with us.  She isn’t in the Bible to scorn us, but to mentor us.  So much can be gleaned from reflecting, and applying her wisdom, and character.

We know from Scripture that Jesus Christ, was the only perfect, sinless one to roam this earth.  Now, I’m not rejoicing because the Prov 31 gal wasn’t perfect, but she wasn’t perfect!!!!  This means, that she was an imperfect woman, that served EXCELLENTLY.  She demonstrated honor, faithfulness, and excellence in all that she pursued.   I’ve also grown to understand that this gal wasn’t caught up in the comparison game.  How do I know?  One could argue that she was too busy to be concerned with what others were doing, or how they were doing it.  But, the truth is, she was clothed in dignity and strength (vs. 25), and she spoke with wisdom (vs. 26).  I will talk about dignity in a moment.  First, let’s break down how destructive perfectionism can be.  Comparison, can fuel perfectionism, which enslaves us to performance.  We can never quite measure up, and that leads to shame.  And shame, dear one, is the opposite of dignity.

Perhaps you are wondering how you can have dignity, and strength, despite your chronic imperfections.   I especially love how Glynnis Whitwer explains what dignity looks like for the Prov 31 gal, she states, “a woman clothed in dignity is one who knows who she is in Christ, and chooses to act in ways consistent with her high calling as a child of God.”  In other words, she chooses to live righteously, pursuing excellence for her Lord in all she does. 

The Apostle Paul understands his calling too.  In Phillipians 3 he writes:

“Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus” (vs. 12).

And he further states:

“I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (vs. 14).

So, are you ready to press on? Here’s some guidance on how we can move from perfectionism, to striving for excellence:

-Humble yourself before the Lord (James 4:10). 
-Abandon comparison (Ps. 16:8).
-Get busy serving the Lord, using the gifts He has gifted YOU with (Luke 4:8).
-Pursue righteousness (Prov. 21:21).
-Ask God for wisdom (James 1:5).
-Commit to the task at hand, not the results (Ps 37:5).
-Rest in God’s grace, knowing in His sovereignty, He redeems all things (2 Cor 12:9).

Girls, the highest praise, and the deepest freedom belongs to the woman who chooses to pursue excellence, over perfectionism in her calling. 

“Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all"  (Prov. 31:29).

Lord Jesus, help us move from a life of self-reliance (perfectionism), to a life committed to depending on You, and serving You, excellently.  Only You can give us the strength and desire to live rightly, and above reproach. May we long for Your glory and pleasure only. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment