Thursday, June 14, 2018

Essential Elements of a Tranformative Baptism

As our Cornerstone family looks forward to the Believers’ Baptism, it brings to mind my own Baptism in 2014.

While I had been hearing the Lord calling me to be baptized for many years, I am ashamed to admit that I had prioritized so many things of this earth above the Lord’s will. When my husband chose to leave me in 2014, I no longer worried that I would make my non-Christian husband uncomfortable by being baptized, and I finally decided to be obedient to my Heavenly Father’s call. It wasn’t an easy decision, as I was working two jobs at the time to make the money I needed to pay my son’s college tuition. I chose the date that followed the magazine deadline for my freelance editing job, figuring that by then I would have the time to meaningfully participate in the experience.

After committing to the date, I learned that my divorce hearing had been scheduled for the morning following my baptism. I was heartbroken and concerned that it would be perceived by my church family and my Heavenly Father that I was just getting baptized to medicate from this painful situation. When I approached the pastors who were facilitating our baptism preparation class about my concerns, they strongly encouraged me to proceed. In his email, Pastor Tim VanSumeren wrote, “About your hesitation of doing it now versus waiting until next year, both Pastor Matthew and I feel that now is really the best time. This is life, and we all go through things. We are trying to teach our people to live ‘life on life’ and what better way to foster that than to have you share the news about what you’re facing. People will be glad to pray for you and support you during these difficult times.”

Pastor Tim’s wisdom was dead-on. So were Pastor Matthew Millen’s reflections that he offered during his April 8, 2018, sermon when he noted that after our baptism we will “walk in the newness of life in Christ” and that we would be “free and no longer defined by our old life.”

In Acts, Peter also spoke not only about the newness that a baptized individual would feel but also about the source of that transformative feeling. In addition, he pointed to the necessary step that one must take prior to one’s baptism when he used the word “repent” in the following verses.

Acts 2: 38 – 42
Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And, you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirt. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.” With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day. They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

The verses also highlight that in response to our baptism, that baptized Christians will “devote” themselves to the teaching of the Lord.

During my experience, I found three essential elements of a truly transformative baptism.

Element One: Reflection on God’s Impact on Your Life
As I participated in the educational session prior to the baptism, I learned that I would have to offer my testimony prior to being baptized. Testimony? Oh no! More work on my plate during a chaotic time of my life. Having witnessed baptisms at other churches that didn’t feature remarks from the participants, I was somewhat surprised by the requirement. But in reality, this testimony is the first essential element of a transformative baptism. As you consider your faith—how you first came to your belief in Jesus Christ and how your life has been changed since trusting in Him—you gain a true appreciation of the impact Jesus has had on your life.

Element Two: An Expectation of and Commitment to a Changed Life
If founded in God’s Word, your reflections will also cause you to deeply consider those aspects of your life that are not obedient to His commands. A commitment to repent of your sinful behavior—not only that behavior that you recognize in that moment but also the sinful behavior that God reveals to you in various ways throughout your life—is key to realizing the true blessings of baptism. With your commitment to opening your heart and your mind to God’s will for your life, you will allow God to make the special occasion of your baptism to be a moment of transformation in your life. You will hear the Holy Spirit speaking to you and be willing to follow His guidance.

I always found it quite poetic that my certificate of baptism reflected my name as “Lori Hixon” when my name had not yet been changed by the New Jersey divorce court. I credit the Lord with changing my name that day, just as He did for Abraham and Sarah when He established an everlasting covenant with them, and believe in my heart that He did the same for me that day.

Element Three: Preparation for the Attacks of the Devil
One of the aspects of that day that gave me a little pause was when Pastor Tim Ackley cautioned us to be prepared for the attacks of the devil. “Really?” I thought to myself, “How many more attacks do I really have to experience beyond what I am already going through?”

Like the wisdom from the other Cornerstone pastors, Pastor Ackley’s wisdom was also dead-on. I realized it when I walked into the New Jersey courtroom the next morning. I was prepared though as I was wearing the armor of God. I wore the belt of truth, knowing that this was God’s will for my life and that He would heal my heart and offer me a love that would never fail. I responded to His love by allowing Him to cover my heart with the breastplate of His righteousness, which resulted also in me trotting into and out of that courtroom with my feet wearing His peace, my head the helmet of salvation, and the shield of faith.

Since I knew that this pain was not caused by my husband but by the devil, I responded to my husband’s text after the hearing with kindness. And, I prayed for my heart to forgive completely and for my husband to feel the happiness that our relationship had robbed him of.

With my baptism, God changed my heart forever. No longer am I unaware of my tendency toward pride and sin. I pray always and have faith that the good work that He began in me He will carry on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus! [Note: My eyes are welling up with tears of gratitude as I type this.]

If you are considering being baptized, I pray that you will experience the same blessings that I continue to experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment