Thursday, August 30, 2018

God Is Not Finished With You!

Sometimes I forget that God isn’t finished with me. I forget He will not be finished with me until He calls me home. I get stuck in today and forget there is still tomorrow’s journey that has yet to be walked. It is not that I think there is no more work to be done, in fact, it is quite the opposite. Too often I feel stuck in the failures of today, as if, God is done and there is no more work He will do. He will just leave me in this present state that I am in.

I forget that no matter my current season of life, no matter how difficult or impossible it may seem, He just isn’t finished with me. He still has much work to do in my heart and life. He still has many ways in which He can and will use me. My reminder of this today comes from Psalms 57.

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by. I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purpose for me. He will send from heaven and save me; he will put to shame him who tramples on me. Selah God will send out his steadfast love and his faithfulness! My soul is in the midst of lions I lie down amid fiery beasts—the children of man, whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth! They set a net for my steps; my soul was bowed down. They dug a pit in my way, but they have fallen into it themselves. Selah My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast! I will sing and make melody! Awake, my glory!  Awake, O harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn! I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. For your steadfast love is great to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth!

This was written by David while he was fleeing from Saul. It was a difficult time for David, he felt that his soul was in the midst of lions. His enemy was all around him, ready to trample him. Can you imagine? I am sure we have all been in similar places both physically and spiritually. But David doesn’t get stuck in that particular day. He doesn’t say, “well, this must be my end!” No, He remains steadfast. He sings praises to the Lord! He remembers that God is still on the throne working out His purposes in David’s life. He exalts His God for what He will do. David doesn’t focus on today, He focuses on God.

My encouragement for us today is to take refuge in the One who knows His purposes for us. Rest in the knowledge that He loves us and will be faithful to fulfill His purposes in us. My dear friends, we can be “confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” (Phil 1:6) So lean into Him, and even if you do not understand today trust the heart of the One who saved you and continues to perfect you until the day He calls you home.

Prayer: Oh Father, help us to take refuge in the shadow of your wings until our trouble passes. May we cry out to you trusting in your purposes for our lives. Help us to remember that, regardless of age or stage of life,  You are not finished with us. You still have work for us to do for Your kingdom. Give us a steadfast heart, a heart that sings because we are resting in You and whatever You might have for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment