Saturday, March 23, 2019

The Dr. Seuss Logic of Prayer

Do it here. Do it there. Do it everywhere. 

In a boat, with a goat, on dry land surrounded by sand. In the sun and when it snows, when the leaves fall and when the Spring bud grows.

In a church, in a car when you have to drive far. In the shower, feel the Spirit’s power. Do it silently, or do it out loud, when you are alone or in a crowd.

Do it here. Do it there. Do it everywhere.

The Doctor Seuss logic of prayer is quite simple, our dialogue with God begins with being in prayer every day, all the time, anywhere. As we are commanded in I Thessalonians 5:17-18 we are to “Pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”

Simple. Right?

Then why do we struggle so much with having prayer be our first resort and not our last? Why do we not want constant communication with the Lord?

Well, let me speak for myself and maybe some of my struggles will ring true with you.

When a crisis arises, I am often so caught up in the details, and headed right into panic mode that I don’t “stop, drop, and pray.” I am wanting to remedy the situation using my own skill set, instead of relying on God’s. I go into containment mode. Contain the problem. Contain my emotions. Contain my outward appearance so that I “seem” to be in control for those who may be witnessing the discomfort of my life play out. Just contain.

Why do I think I can do all of this myself?

Because Satan is constantly whispering little lies into my soul. He is telling me, “You got this girlfriend.” And, that is an utter lie, which goes against all God says and commands. Which leads to the understanding of why we, as women of God, are to be praying without ceasing. It is only then that I can hear God’s voice over that of Satan.

Were I not to have been in constant contact with God, I would not have been able to discern or even know His voice. Prayer gives you wisdom. Prayer gives you power. Prayer gives you peace. Prayer gives you the ultimate control over any situation which you may face.

Imagine for a moment - this is something I do very regularly - that you are a hot mess. Your hair is in knots and greasy having been left uncombed for days and your clothes are a mess, there are even smudges of mascara under your eyes. Knowing ALL this, and being in this state, you can BOLDLY approach the throne of God with your prayers. In fact, God commands you to. You can run right up to Him as He is seated on the dais as king ruling over the universe.“Therefore let us [with privilege] approach the throne of grace [that is, the throne of God’s gracious favor] with confidence and without fear, so that we may receive mercy [for our failures] and find [His amazing] grace to help in time of need [an appropriate blessing, coming just at the right moment]”, as Hebrews 4:16 tells us.

Just for a moment let that image fill you. You are a daughter of the King, and He so wants you to come to Him prayerfully, in all circumstances. Just. As. You. Are.

I know you may not feel worthy of this privilege or the right to approach God. Because of circumstances, because of personal failures, because of lacking the right words. But, let me just tell you because I have been where you are - at times in even worse circumstances than some of you - despite it ALL you are so incredibly blessed. Wow! If you could only see the blessings. You have direct access to the God of the universe. All the time. Any hour. Any Day. Any moment.

So come as you are. From near or far. Pray when you’re busy, pray when you’re slow, pray when and wherever you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment