Monday, March 9, 2020

Come To The Table

Growing up in a family steeped in Italian traditions meant sitting at a table for a five course meal on Sundays. Each of us kids was very intentionally seated between two adults. This strategic placement was meant to ensure that we ate every serving of food that was heaped on our already burgeoning plates. In between courses, while my Nona, Gran and the aunties and the mothers washed dinner dishes and BisNonnel and the Uncles sipped grappa, we children were given a reprieve to run and play in the back yard. Unless it was raining this left us shrieking and playing tag and making as much noise as possible so we would be prepared to return to the table to be seen but not heard.

 Each Sunday the requisite family members would make an appearance, the only time a person missed dinner at Nona’s house was if they were in the hospital or had found their place in the grave.

 There were always extra chairs. Despite being about to set platters of steaming food on the table, were someone unexpectedly to walk through the door, there would be a place. Silverware and plates would be pushed a little closer together and an extra place setting would be set, a chair pulled up.

 Countless childhood Sundays. The promise of family recipes and homemade pasta. The invitation was always extended. The table. Always set.

 My BisNonnel and Nona’s Sunday dinner table makes me crave with the earthly imaginings of The Table, that eternal place, that God has set for me.

 The Table is set both during the worst and the best of times. As God promises in His Holy Scriptures in Psalm 23 verse 5, He goes so far as to set a table in the midst of my fiercest enemies, when my life is fraught with unsettledness or danger or deepest gnawing sadness. He says come sit with me, dine with me. Find peace at my table. I promise you this peace always if you come to my table. And you can come to The Table at any time, there is no need for call ahead seating because God says we have to access to His Table and its offerings at all times (Ephesians 2:18).

 Not only am I always welcome - as are you - at The Table, but I am a part of the family. There is no rearranging of plates or setting the wine goblets aside. My place is set prior to my ever arriving. Because, according to the word of God in Romans 8 verse 15 I have been adopted into the family of God. I belong, as do you sweet sister. Not only have we been adopted by God, we are joint heirs with Jesus Christ His Son (Romans 8:17). We belong.

 As my Nona would say, “Venite como siete.” Come as you are, just as you are, come to The Table for God in His greatest and grandest providence has a perpetual place for you. The invitation is always extended, no matter what hill or valley you find yourself in because “You are beyond condemnation” (Romans 8:1) and welcomed with grace.

 So, come, come, come to The Table.

No comments:

Post a Comment