Thursday, February 22, 2018

Magnetism, Issues, and Unity



             Transport yourself back to one of your elementary school science classes. Did you ever have the chance to experiment with magnets? At the basic levels, we’re taught that like poles repel and opposite poles attract. Even as an adult I love the magnetic sensation. It’s that feeling of the pull in the empty space between two magnets that want to snap together. Or, trying to push against the resistance to connect the similar magnets and having the poles repel hands apart from one another. This latter sensation is how I’d like to describe the vibe I’ve been sensing more often than not lately between my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

              Now, replace the magnet in your hand with an issue, any polarizing issue will do. There are plenty to choose from - gun control, reproductive rights, feminism, race, the presidency, parenting styles and educational choices, [just insert your issue here]. Experimenting with the issues in our hands compared to the same or different issues in others’ hands we find that some are weaker, some are stronger, and all create varying degrees of emotional magnetism - attraction or repulsion. The heartbreaking part of this experiment is that the conclusion often times ends in a division. If you’ve been aching for unity lately in the body of Christ, the Word of God is a balm for our sin-sick and sick-of-sin souls.

"Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity! It is like the precious oil on the head, running down on the beard, on the beard of Aaron, running down on the collar of his robes! It is like the dew of Hermon, which falls on the mountains of Zion! For there the Lord has commanded the blessing, life forevermore." (Psalm 133)

              Yes! We know how good and pleasant unity is because we’ve all experienced the opposite. We want more of the goodness. While most of us have no idea what oil feels like running down to our collars, I pray that we have all felt the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit who is the one symbolized by this word picture. The moment we became a Christian we were united by the Spirit with all believers throughout all time. 1 Corinthians 12:12-13 tells us, “For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.” Therefore, we are all positionally united in Christ through the Spirit and that’s not going to change. The position part is easy. What’s tough and what does change is the practice part. In practice, we struggle.

              Yet, we remain hopeful because God clearly works in the midst of our divisions. We have seen the proverbial mountains moved and we have heard the testimonies of life over death and freedom out of captivity. And God used us - the communion of saints - to accomplish it. Even though God still works out his plans we need to keep a watchful eye on how we are personally pursuing the practice of unity. There is much at stake. A few of the consequences scripture outlines when we become divisive are that our worship becomes unacceptable (Matthew 5:23-24), our walk becomes disobedient (Philippians 2:1-11), and our witness becomes ineffective (Mark 9:50).

              Several Christian denominations and associations have taken this maxim as their motto: In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. Remember that issue, like a magnet, you’re holding in your hand? Is it essential for salvation? Ask yourself, “Have I given mercy and liberty for those who do not hold the same issue? Have I pursued charity (that is, love) first and foremost?” This motto does not say, “Don’t ever debate your issues,” or “Your issues must all be the same.” Be passionate about what God has called you to be passionate about. But, please, don’t sacrifice unity and love for a brother or sister over your issue! Know that the strategy of the enemy, the devil, is to have us take our non-essential issues and convictions and make them the essential ones.

              Another question I need to ask myself when unity is at stake: “Is the issue in my hand becoming a stumbling block for a fellow Christian, or worse yet, a non-believer to draw closer to God?” There should only be one issue, like a magnet, we hold in our hands that makes others stumble and that is Jesus Christ crucified. 1 Corinthians 1:23-25 says, “But we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.” If our issue has taken the place of Jesus, it has become our idol and at best will create false unity and at the worst destructive division. One last question, “Have I allowed the devil to gain a foothold in my heart and plant a seed of bitterness before I have stood unified with my brother or sister at the foot of the cross?”

              In the book of John, chapter 17, the final prayer of Jesus was for the unity of those who would believe in him - that’s you and me. Our unity’s purpose is ultimately so that others would believe in Jesus and know they are loved by God. When you’re heartbroken and longing for unity, be encouraged and empowered by the knowledge that Jesus felt the same way and is praying over you and working alongside you:

"I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. (John 17:20-23)

Lord God, I submit myself to you. I resist the devil and he flees from me. I will draw near to you and you will draw near to me. Cleanse my hands for I am a sinner. Purify my heart for I am double-minded. I humble myself before you, Lord, and then you will exalt me. I will not speak evil against my brothers and sisters in Christ. You are the only lawgiver and judge and you are able to save and to destroy. Amen (Prayer selected from James 4:7-12).




No comments:

Post a Comment